How to use the BookScouter Android App with a Bluetooth Barcode Scanner
As of version 1.1, the BookScouter Android application can be connected to a Bluetooth Barcode scanner that is supported by
SerialIO. There are occasionally compatible devices for sale on eBay.
Any device that works with SerialIO should work. The SerialIO software communicates directly with the bluetooth barcode scanner and passes any scans through to the BookScouter application. This makes it possible for BookScouter to work with all of these devices, but does mean a few extra steps when getting everything configured and working.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your Android Device
- Install the latest version of the BookScouter App on your device. Simply search for 'bookscouter' in the Android Marketplace. If the application fails to install on top of your existing version, you may need to remove the old version first, and then install the new version.
- Install the SerialMagic Gears application, also available for free in the Android Marketplace.
- Run SerialMagic Gears. The first time you start it, scroll to the bottom and click 'Continue'
- Inside SerialMagic Gears, click the 'Connect' button and have it connect to your Bluetooth Barcode Scanner Device. You may have to press Scan for Devices first.
- Start up the BookScouter App. If it asks you if you have a bluetooth barcode scanner just click Yes. If it doesn't ask you, then just hit the Menu button on your device, then click the 'Toggle Scanner' button, and click Yes. The BookScouter app will then communicate with SerialMagic Gears in the background. When you scan a books ISBN, it will automatically look up that book in the BookScouter App
There are bound to be some problems. Here are some things that I have found to help out:
- Sometimes, you have to force close both BookScouter and SerialMagic Gears to get them to start working together again
- If the bluetooth device powers off, you may have to go babck into SerialMagic Gears and reconnect to your bluetooth device
Please let me know if you have success with any different devices that can be added to this list.
- LaserChamp II Tri-Mode Bluetooth Scanner (Currently $149.95)